Monday, August 16, 2010

August 1st Quarter Luna and Friends

It is that time once again to invade the sidewalks of Reno/Sparks and share the night sky with the general populace. Our weather has been cooler than normal though still warm - this Sunday we had a quickie T-storm move through and dropped our temps a good 10 degrees and I felt this was a good time for me to kickoff my late summer/fall programs. I am really glad I got out this evening as the storm really cleaned the air out ( well not entirely more on this later) and folks were coming out of the woodwork to enjoy the evening Marina Park walkways. No rush this time to get out the door as I had my old SUV all packed and ready to go and C8 was tuned up and its power pack loaded with juice for a long session out. And this turned out to be a fun filled 5 hour session out! They just kept coming and coming and..........

Paul was my first visitor and he fell prey to the moon's 1st quarter delights. With a little help he was kicking around the moon dust seeing sights never seen before. His only comment was " I'm speechless " as one should be after a viewing like this!


Patricia ran into the Sidewalk Guy 1 year ago this same weekend and had her fill of Jupiter and Luna. Now a year later she is back with her son Quinton who just returned from his military service in the middle east! What a pleasure to meet this awesome young man who is excelling in his role as a field medic, leading and training others as they seek to aid their comrades in arms and local populace. These two enjoyed views of our moon, and double stars.

Just when you think it is time to pack it in 3 cars pull up and out pops out this horde and they must be satisfied with views and banter! Oh what fun we had sharing views of double stars, a dusty moon and a discussion about stellar evolution! At this time by chance a dust storm of our own decided to blow into our meadow with a vengeance! But these guys where not detracted from their quest to view and learn. One of the ladies asked " gee I wish I could see Jupiter " and just then I said "well there it is my friend" as I pointed to its appearance in the eastern sky! Talk about timing - your wish is my command ! Jupiter was now in fair position for viewing and they were treated to a nice sight of banding and moons. They left with loads of freebies which I am sure will be devoured over the next few days.

Not done yet. Darleen stopped by with Ted to see what this was all about and soon she was smitten with the astro bug which first invaded her life with a nice view of Jupiter and its four moons of Galilean distinction. Not to be over shadowed by it's bigger brother Uranus begged for a showing and Darleen had the first views of this Solar System outpost this season! She was taken in by this turquoise blue sphere which "looked like a gem stone!" Ted is enrolled at our local university and is taking a astronomy class - he said he "liked this better than his class and this was a bunch of fun !" No math required here.

It is now midnight and I got pack up but wait here comes some more folks down the sidewalk heading my way and.........

6 comments:

Jo said...

Hi SUG,
It's been a long while since I haven't posted anything, I know! It's so good to see that you're still doing outreach to the community. You and Paul both are doing such a great job at it!

And Paul, don't think that I have stopped reading your content (along with you SUG.) I've been super busy. Your blogs are really so refreshing after a long day! I'll try to comment more often!!!

Keep up the wonderful outreach you both do!

Sidewalk Universe said...

Hey I was thinking about you this very morning! Are you doing any astronomy stuff? Telescope yet? Just glad to hear from you again!!!!!!!

Sidewalk Universe said...

By the way Johany me thinks you have 100's of blog buddies and places to visit!

How do you do that?

Drive By is now SO popular he ignores this blog completely! Fickle blog people....

Jo said...

I was just thinking of Drive By! Last time I heard he and Sir Richard Branson went aboard the Virgin Atlantic Airway for a roundtrip around the moon!!! That's why he's not around back yet!!! He and Branson have known each other since the 3rd grade that lucky son of a gun!!!

Did he even bother to invite us??? Nooooooo!!!

Paulie said...

Glad to see you back Johany, and believe me, I understand about being busy.

SUG, I love viewing (and showing) not only the first quarter Moon, but the day before and after. So many interesting things to see.

Sidewalk Universe said...

Yes Paulie it is loaded and we need to show it! For a lot of folks the moon is just ho hum until they see it in a scope and then POW right in the kisser!