Monday, January 17, 2011

Sidewalk Startup 2011

This past Friday started out our Sierra Foothills weekend with nice early spring like temps and blue sky to enjoy which as the Earth spins beneath us turns into dark skies to which our eyes can feast on our local universe. Day 9 Luna is looking fine in the afternoon sky and Jupiter is lurking nearby on the ecliptic road they share so I must get out to point them out!

It has been a number of weeks since my last time out so I was geared to go missing my fun sharing the sky. I have some new spots picked out to go to but not today because of time constraints I had to stay nearby at the Marina which was very busy this thaw out day! Setting up was a treat as the curious started coming by - 3-6 at a time inquiring as to what was going on. The previous day's Yahoo posting concerning the Zodiac and the wobble of the Earth was on peoples minds. This was a tremendous segway into what was before us - we do live in a changing universe and from our Earthly platform we can observe this change! So out comes the NightSky Network Zodiac poster to explain it all to a crowd of 12 and I am not at all set up yet! This is gonna be a great time out!

Of course according to Sidewalk Universe Guy's "Rules Of Effective Astro Outreach On Sidewalks Everywhere"(SUGROFAOOSE) the discussion must not end here as now they are hooked and they must enjoy what is currently at hand - a 9 day Luna Gibbous in Pisces & Jupiter in Aquarius Show. I will always make sure your one question leads you to others and why not enjoy the Zodiac right over our heads at this moment? Let's take a online news blip and make it for real.

Hector & Sylvia are busy professional people who where out enjoying this sunny afternoon and got captured by the SUG street show. They took in the full gambit this day: Zodiac, Seasonal, 2 Inch Universe presentations and detailed viewing of Luna's bending shadow line. Hector was very much at home behind the scope. Sylvia was amazed about the timing of all this - just earlier during their walk they were commenting on the Moon and the Yahoo Zodiac posting and here is the Sidewalk Guy!

Timing, a tilted wobbling Earth, and a phasing Moon are everything! 43 visitors this evening.

1/18/11 Update: Requests keep rolling in for a pic of CR150's other side so here we go! As a added feature the outreach resource table gets more and more on it all the time - just what is it that SUG does with all this stuff? Can anyone notice what is new? Where is Sidewalk Guy's snack?

5 comments:

Jo said...

That's a good looking refractor scope you got there SUG! Nice! :)

Sidewalk Universe said...

CR150 is glad you noticed him! He enjoys showing his best side....

Drive-by Astronomy said...

Johany beware of offering CR150 too many compliments. You'll make his optics swell.Sometimes he gives my TV101 some real attitude.
As always the SUG can really put on an awesome sidewalk astronomy show. Nice job Richie!

Sidewalk Universe said...

Though the pic does not show it I had a broken focuser on this outing. SUG was very upset about it as it is one of my finest features.

Well he got the courage to take it off ( I had to be comforted under a warm blanket ) discovered the problem - roller bearing fell out of its place - and actually fixed it by himself! No small feat for the Sugster! I am now fully ready to go and can not wait to try out the new solar wedge!

I am not sure as to what TV 101 is talking about as he hangs with a very elite group of scopes that do not have time for ruffian scopes has myself.........

Jo said...

I'll be very careful with what I say. I wouldn't want anything I say to go to CR150's head! He's probably already real conceited as it is!

Thanks for the heads-up Drive-By!!!