Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Bunch of 52's

February 22 is my B-Day and I want to celebrate with this posting. Here's a bunch of celestial 52's for SUG'S turning 52 courtesy of Steven James O'Meara my favorite observer/astronomy writer par excellence. I have his books on my bed stand, Messier, Caldwell, Herschel 400 and Hidden Treasures. These observing guides inspire me to no end. I looked over at them earlier today and this idea filled my brain. Here we go:



M52 : Open Cluster in Cassiopeia: A SUG favorite with its dense compact star field and blueish glow set against the Cassiopeia/Cepheus Milky Way. This area has always been one of my favorite hunting grounds.











Caldwell 52 (NGC 4697) Elliptical Galaxy in Virgo: A fun lens shape against the inky blackness is intergalactic space. It seems very alone out there!








Herschel 52 (NGC 7006) Globular Cluster in Delphinus : A very dense Globbie way out 127,0000 ly away out in the Milky Way's Halo but easy to locate its subtle glow. It is a neat catch anytime!







Hidden Treasure 52 (NGC 3134) Face On Spiral Galaxy in Ursa Major : Like most face on galaxies this one is dim, but great in pictures. It is located near the intersection of the faint constellations Lynx and Leo Minor and the Great Bear (not faint). I sure wish I could see it as good as this pic.





And finally from my other favorite astronomy writer, lunar explorer Chuck Wood :


Lunar 100 #52 Crater Cruger : This is a possible volcanic caldera!

You see turning 52 is not so bad!

What celestial goodies match your special day?

No comments: