Thursday, January 1, 2009

Sparks Marina Street Astro Dec. 29-31, 2008

We were fortunate to have a great break in the weather, along with incredible planet/lunar pairings - so why not do some street astro outings! What a way to end and start a year. In 3 sessions we were able to impact over 100 visitors. My goal for these sessions was for my visitors to have quality views of the Moon and Venus and naked-eye viewings of the Mercury/Jupiter pairing on the western horizon. I wanted them to have an understanding of Galileo's first observations of the Moon and Venus as he was the first to observe their true nature and he was also the first to observe the changing phase cycle of another planet. This is a picture of my resource table.

2 comments:

NiteSkyGirl said...

Wow ! that is .. is so .. .i'm speechless at how many lives you've impacted!! that is so awesome!! and heart warming to read because my main focus is to help people enjoy the night sky, i want them to enjoy their telescope or dust it off and pull out to use use so much !
My other main focus is making sure they get the right first telescope. Mostly dobsonians according to they're budget.

The reason i started my Asktheastronomer service also. I saw so many confused people trying to figure out which one was the right one and how to use and understand the telescope. So now i have my nite sky girl blog because i love sharing my love for astronomy.

Quality views is another goal of mine as well. Your picture of your resource table is so nice! and inspiring, this summer I may get mine out in my front yard and do some sidewalk astronomy.

i love sharing it so much !

Sidewalk Universe said...

Hey NiteSkyGirl,

Thanks for your encouragement, and for sharing your your passion for astronomy outreach! I feel very fortunate to be able to do this, and as you know it is very satisfying! I think it is wonderful that you offer a direct service to people to help them on their quest to explore the universe. With the IYA - we are going to have much fun this year!